CAPT. JOHN WHITE, steamboat pilot, P. O. Thebes, was born in Paducah, McCracken Co., Ky., August 12, 1832, a son of William and Martha White, both of whom died when our subject was quite young, probably about seven years of age. From his birthplace, he made his way to Bayou Sara, La., and worked around for different people. He was also permitted to attend the poor-school for about a year. After living in that place for a number of years, he returned to his birthplace, where he had a sister living. When about eighteen years of age, he commenced following his profession, first piloting boats on the Tennessee River as early as 1853. Next he piloted on the Ohio, from Cincinnati to the mouth of Tennessee River, and afterward was transferred to the Mississippi, and ran between New Orleans and St. Louis, over which waste of waters he still directs the course of his vessel. His residence, until 1876, was at Cairo, but in that year he came to Thebes, where he has since purchased a tract of forty acres in Section 4. Town 15, and now gives his spare attention to farming. The Captain was married in January, 1858, to Miss Sallie Clutchfield. This lady died in 1868. The second time, he was married to Rosa Kalesy in 1876, who died in 1877. His third marriage was solemnized August 2, 1880, to Miss Eugenia Wagner. He enlisted in a Kentucky regiment enrolled at Paducah by Capt. King in 1861, and served three years. In politics, he is a Democrat.
Extracted 29 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, page 235.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|