GEORGE W. STRODE, Cairo, Ill., was born in Galena, Ill., and is a son of Col. James M. Strode and Mary B. Parish. The father was born in Fleming County, Ky., about 1798, where he grew to manhood, receiving a liberal education and where he prepared for the profession of law. He was married in Elkton, Todd Co., Ky., in 1818; shortly afterward moved to Sangamon County, Ill., and while there was a contemporary lawyer with A. Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas, and was a warm friend of Judge Sidney Breese. In 1827, having removed to the north part of the State, he was enrolled as Captain of company known as the Galena Mounted Volunteers, and served in the Black Hawk war. He was afterward appointed to the position of Registrar of the land office in Chicago. While on a business trip to his native State in 1862, he died, near Flemingsburg. Mary A. Parish was a daughter of Benjamin Parish, an extensive land-owner, planter and tanner of Elkton, Ky. She was born in 1800, and died in Denver, Colo., in 1879. They reared a family of seven children — Eugene Strode, deceased; William Strode, deceased; Mary E., deceased wife of Dr. Banks of St. Louis; James A. Strode, a lawyer and planter of Huntsville, Ala.; Fannie, wife of Hon. J. Q. Charles of Denver, Col.; George W. Strode, of Cairo, and Dr. E. C. Strode, who was a surgeon in the late war, and a young man who had acquired an enviable distinction. He died in Denver, Col., in 1871. George W. was educated at Galena, Crystal Lake and Woodstock, and his first business experience was in the capacity of druggist clerk; then for several years was the business manager of the forwarding and commission business of H. F. McClasky, of Galena, Ill. In 1859, he went to the city of Memphis, Tenn., when he obtained a position as Cashier for the firm of J. D. Morton & Co., remaining in this connection for three years, when he became the successor of W. D. Love, a former member of the firm. In 1866, he took a clerkship with the firm of Halliday & Co. in Columbus, Ky., and continued with them four years. He then established an implement store in Nashville, Tenn., which, owing to unfortunate business association, proved unsuccessful. He then returned to the employ of Halliday & Co., at Columbus, where from 1871 to 1877, he had chief control of their banking and stock yard business. At the latter date he came to Cairo, Ill., since which time he has been corresponding secretary for the Halliday Brothers. Mr. Strode was married in Gainsville, Ala. November 14, 1865, to Miss Mary P. Stuart. She was born in Greene County, Ala., September 24, 1845, and is a daughter of Dr. R. F. Stuart, a planter and physician of Alabama. He was a man who was characterized for broad and liberal views, and possessed of benevolent heart, with an open hand to relieve any who needed sympathy. He was a devoted member of the Baptist Church in which he was a pillar. He died on the 25th day of December, 1867, leaving the indelible impress of his exemplary life written upon the memories and hearts of an extensive circle of ardent friends. His wife, Martha A. Wilkes, was a remarkable adaptation to a remarkable husband. She also was a native of Greene County, Ala., born September 19, 1821, and for many years was devotedly attached to the Baptist Church in which she was an active member. She died March 10, 1863. They had but two childrenMrs. Strode and a brother, Emmett Stuart, who died September 27, 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Strode are members of the Baptist Church, in which he sustains the relation of a Deacon; he is also an ardent Sunday school worker, and the President of the Alexander County Bible Society. They have had but one child — Mary Strode. She was born in Edgefield, Tenn., in 1870, and died in Cairo, Ill., September 13, 1880.
Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 45-46.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|