WILLIAM LUDWIG, manufacturer and dealer in harness and saddles, at No. 121 Commercial avenue, Cairo, Ill., was born June 22, 1854, in Hanover, Germany, but came to the United States with his parents, Henry and Sophia Ludwig, when three years old. His parents are both natives of Hanover, and are still living at Warrington, Ind., where they settled when they first came to America. William is the youngest of their family of seven children, and was educated in the public schools of Warrington, Ind. He took the trade of harness-maker and saddler at Fort Branch, Ind., in which business he has since engaged. He came to Cairo in 1872, and in August of that year established a harness shop, which he has conducted ever since with varied success. He now carries a $4,000 stock of harness and saddles, in addition to which he is dealing in hides, tallow, wool and furs. He was married, December 31, 1876, in Cairo, Ill., to Miss Thakla Whittig, daughter of Carl Whittig, a noted musician who died some years ago in Cairo, her mother having previously died in Memphis of yellow fever. They had three daughters, one of whom is a resident of Pittsburgh, Penn., and one of Golconda, Ill. The Ludwig family has been represented in Cairo by a daughter, wife of William Beerwart, who was well and favorably known in Cairo, and intimately connected with the business and official interests of the city. He died on the 3d day of February, 1879, at Evansville, Ind., where his wife and four children now live.
Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 30-31.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|