CHARLES FEUCHTER. The family name of Feuchter is a familiar one to the
citizenship of Cairo, and the influence of its connection with the varied
affairs of this peninsula has permeated financial and business channels of
Southern Illinois. The honor of its founding belongs to Charles Feuchter,
Sr., but to his son and namesake is largely due the credit for placing the
family patronymic among the enduring ones of this financial and commercial
Charles Feuchter, Sr., came to Cairo just before the outbreak of the Civil war. He had been in America then about five years, had spent some time in Newark, New Jersey, crossed the country to Dubuque, Iowa, where he stopped for a short spell, and then returned to Cincinnati, Ohio, from which point he came to Cairo. He was born in the town of Brachbach, county of Garabronn, Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1831, and was a son of Frederick Feuchter, who married a Miss Ricks. Besides himself, the children of his parents were John; Michael, Frederick, Katherina and Frederica, the last named of whom became the wife of John Tauber.
Charles Feuchter is the only member of his family who spent his life in America, his younger sister, who had lived for a while in Cairo, returning to the Fatherland, and the remaining children being deceased. He engaged in the brewing of beer in a small way upon coming to Cairo, and his success as the first of his line here was a matter of common knowledge. He was of a rather retiring disposition, and took little part in municipal affairs, although during the early days he served as a member of the local fire company. He married Anna Schwanitz in Cairo, and died January 8, 1908, having been the father of two sons: Charles, Jr., and William.
Charles Feuchter, Jr., was born in Cairo, November 2, 1863, and was a pupil of the public schools until well toward the senior year, when he entered Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, and there took a commercial course. Soon after his graduation, in 1881, he entered upon his serious business career as a clerk in the freight offices of the Illinois Central Railway at Cairo, passing through various grades of clerkship as he climbed upward to the position of cashier, and resigning that position to take the position of cashier and chief clerk with the Iron Mountain Railway Company here in 1890. He remained with the latter company only a year, when his desire for more freedom and a business of his own caused him to resign. His first business opportunity came when he joined his brother William in the purchase of the wholesale liquor business of Judge F. Bross, which was conducted under the name of Feuchter Brothers until 1907, when the firm was succeeded by The Lazarus Company, of which Mr. Feuchter is secretary. When the Cuban Cigar Company was launched he became its president, a position which he has held to the present time, and he is also a director in the St. Louis & Cairo Railroad Company, and has been a director in the Alexander County National Bank for many years, as well as holding the office of vice-president of that institution. In 1911 he engaged in the fire insurance business with James H. Galligan, the firm of Feuchter & Galligan being one of the chief agencies of Cairo. In addition he is secretary of the Cairo Brewing Company, and is officially connected with the Citizens Building and Loan Association. Mil. Feuchter holds membership in the Commercial and Alexander Clubs and the Board of Trade; is past noble grand of Oddfellowship, past exalted ruler of Cairo Lodge, No. 651, B. P. O. E., past protector of the Knights and Ladies of Honor, past G. G. M. of the Knights of the Mystic Krew of Comus, President of Post F, Travelers Protective Association and of the Automobile Club and of the Cairo Country Club.
On May 26, 1910, Mr. Feuchter was married at Cairo to Miss Adessa L. Hyde, daughter of George Hyde, and their new and handsome residence is situated at No. 2601 Washington avenue.
Extracted 15 Jan 2018 by Norma Hass from 1912 History of Southern Illinois, Volume 2, pages 873-874.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|