Alexander County

Biography - Nicholas Feith

NICHOLAS FEITH, undertaker, on the corner of Eleventh street and Washington avenue, was born on the 6th of December, 1819, in Echternech, Luxemburg, Europe. He is the fifth of a family of eight children of Peter Feith and Catherine Nea. But three of the family are now living. The father was born December 25, 1777, and the mother on the 6th of December, 1787. On arriving at manhood, Nicholas adopted the trade of cabinet-maker, in which he acquired a great proficiency, and is without a superior, if, indeed, he has an equal in the United States, on inlaid work. He worked extensively in Paris, France, and in Brussels, Belgium, where, on the 26th of July, 1845, he married Miss Susanna Feller. She was born in Medernach, Luxemburg, February 12, 1820. There was one child born to them in the old country — Anna Feith, born on the 23d of June, 1847, and is the deceased wife of William Kluge, of Cairo. Mr. Feith came to this country in the fall of 1848, and lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, until 1854, in which time three children were born to the family — Madeline, born November 17, 1849, deceased; Nicholas, born January 5, 1851, deceased, and Katie Feith, present wife of William Kluge, born August 10, 1853. In 1854, he removed to Southeast Missouri, where he purchased a farm and resided until 1862, and at that place were born John Feith, August 24, 1857, and Eddie, January 29, 1860. In December, 1862, the family came to Cairo, Ill., but, being unable to procure a house, they again went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where, on the 17th of August, 1863, William, the youngest child, was born. They returned to Cairo in 1864, and the following year Mr. Feith opened a shop for the manufacture and sale of coffins, and has ever since been engaged in that line of business. The family are members of the Catholic Church of Cairo, Ill.

Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, page 16-17.

Visit Our Neighbors
Scott MO Mississippi MO Ballard KY
Search the Archives