WILLIAM EICHHOFF, wholesale and retail dealer in parlor, office and kitchen furniture, on the corner of Seventeenth street and Washington avenue, Cairo, was born in Westphalia, Prussia, June 19, 1835. He is a son of Casper H. and Anna Eichhoff, both of whom were natives of Prussia, the former born in 1789, and the latter in 1796. They married in Prussia, and to them were born a family of six children, William being the fourth. He was educated in Prussia, and came to the United States with an elder brother, Charles Eichhoff, in 1854, and the same year located at Cairo, Ill. Here he engaged at his trade, that of carpenter and cabinet-maker, and worked on the first storehouse erected on the Ohio levee. In the year 1856, he went to Dongola, Ill., where for several years he followed contracting and building. He returned from there to Cairo, Ill., and in 1865, established a planing mill on Eighteenth street, which he operated successfully for about two years, discontinuing this to place the machinery in a furniture manufactory, which he erected on the corner of Seventeenth street and Washington avenue, which has been his business location since, and which has been converted from a manufacturing to a wholesale and retail establishment. Mr. Eichhoff was first married in Union County, Ill., to Miss Lavina Casper, who was born in Union County March 4, 1840. She died in Dongola, of smallpox, April 3, 1863. His second wife, Rachel Fleshman, to whom he was married February 3, 1870, was born near Manheim, on the Rhine, in Germany, June 12, 1844, and died in Cairo, Ill., April 12, 1873, leaving two children, viz.: Sibilia Eichhoff, born February 9, 1873, and Walter Ellsworth Eichhoff, born April 17, 1871. Sibilia died June 20, 1873. Mr. Eichhoff is a member of the order of Masons.
Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, page 15.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|