DR. H. C. BARKHAUSEN, physician, Thebes. Prominently identified among the old physicians of this county is Dr. H. C. Barkhausen, born April 1, 1819, in Prussia, and educated in his native country. In 1835, he came with his parents to this country, where the father, H. A., engaged in farming in Pulaski County. This was a new business for the elder B., as he had always been an architect. In one year the family removed to Jonesboro precinct, Union County, where they continued rural pursuits until 1845, when they went to Thebes Precinct, Alexander County. Soon after, the father took a contract to construct the Alexander County Court House at Thebes, then the county seat of said County. This structure he completed in 1848. The subject, at the age of twenty-six years, began the study of medicine with Dr. Fisher, of Thebes, with whom he remained two years, and began practice in Stoddard County, Mo., and in two years he returned to Thebes, where he enjoyed a lucrative practice until 1875, when he retired to his country residence about one-half mile from town, where he resides. He was manned June 18, 1844, to Catherine Hunsaker, daughter of John and Annie (Shaw) Hunsaker, the result of which union being three children — Adeline, wife of Henry A. Phanert, of New Mexico; Louise, wife of Dr. J. A. M. Gibbs. She is Superintendent of Alexander County Public Schools. The third child is dead. Our subject is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and is a stanch Democrat.
Extracted 29 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, pages 228-229.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|