JOHN WOOD, mill, and grain dealer, of the firm of Wood & Bennett, Cairo, Ill., is a son of John Wood and Ann (Stephenson) Wood, of Scotland, where he was born January 8, 1833, being the fourth of a family of nine children. John Wood, Jr., and subject of these lines, came to the United States in 1850, and located at Milwaukee, Wis., the family coming the year following, locating also in Wisconsin, where the father died in 1861. The mother died in Wisconsin in 1876. In Milwaukee he learned the trade of brick-layer, working at this business there until the spring of 1852, at which time he went to Chicago, where he was employed in building until 1862. In the early part of that year, he enlisted in the service, and was mustered in as First Lieutenant of Company A, of the Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry Regiment; he was soon promoted to the commission of Captain, and later in the same year received a promotion to Major of his regiment, which office he held until mustered out in May of 1864. He participated in several earnest engagements, and was made a prisoner at Harper's Ferry. In June, 1864, he came to Cairo, Ill., where he associated himself with J. C. Rankin, under the firm name of Rankin & Wood, engaged in merchandising, also contracting and building. This partnership, by mutual agreement, terminated in 1868. Mr. Wood continued to work at building until 1872, and for three years was one of the committee to construct the Asylum for Feeble-Minded at Anna, Ill., and the State Normal Institute at Carbondale, Ill. From 1872 to 1878, he was engaged in the commission grain business in the firm of Green & Wood, later Green, Wood & Bennett, and now as Wood & Bennett, Mr. Green having retired from the firm in 1882. Mr. Wood was married, in Chicago, Ill., November 16, 1857, to Miss Mary L. Young, daughter of Peter and Lizzie (Dougan) Young. Mrs. Wood was born in Scotland September 1, 1835, and came with her parents to the United States in 1855. Both are members of the Presbyterian Church of Cairo, and Mr. Wood of the Masonic order. Their family comprises nine children, three of whom are deceased. Those living are John H., Elizabeth D., James C. R, Walter H., Lillian D. and. Mary L.
Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 55-56.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|