FRANK KRATKY, baker and confectioner, on Commercial avenue, between Fourth and Sixth streets, Cairo, Ill., is a native of the town of Predbor, Bokemia, Germany, and was born on the 23d of March, 1834. He is the fifth of a large family of Wenzel and Anna (Lehovetz) Kratky, both of whom were born in Germany, where the father still lives, the mother having died in 1873. Frank Kratky was reared to manhood in his native country, and was for ten years a soldier in the German Army. In 1863, he left the old country and came to New York City, and thence to Mexico, where he remained about four years engaged in the bakery business in the City of Mexico. He came to Cairo, Ill., from Mexico, in 1868, since which time he has conducted a bakery and confectionery store at that place. In 1879, he sustained a loss of about $2,000 by fire, and the same year erected the two-story brick house on Commercial avenue, which he now occupies. He was married in the city of St. Louis, April 20, 1873, to Miss Laura Weber, daughter of Ambrosias Weber and Dora (Tier) Weber. She was born at Kalter-Vasser, Germany, July 11, 1852, and came to the United States with her parents in 1865. They settled in St. Louis, where the mother is still living in her sixty-second year, and where the father died January 4, 1883, at the age of sixty-three. Mrs. Kratky is the second of a family of five children of these parents. Mr. and Mrs. Kratky have a family of six children, of whom four are deceased. Emma Kratky was born in Cairo, Ill., on the 6th of February, 1874, and Rosa H. Kratky, born in Cairo, May 28, 1881. The family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Kratky's parents were members of the Catholic Church, as was also the father of Mrs. Kratky, her mother belonging to the Lutheran Church.
Extracted 31 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, page 27.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|