GEORGE CHERRY, farmer, P. O. East Cape Girardeau. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a native of Bedfordshire, England, and was born October 29, 1821. He is the son of Charles and Sophia Cherry, the second of eight children, and the only one that came to this country. When sixteen years of age he landed at New Orleans and made his way to St. Louis, and from there to Quincy, Ill. At the latter place he only remained one week and then went back to St. Louis. Here he apprenticed himself to a plumber, and after he had learned his trade he followed it for about three years. He remained about fourteen years in that city, and part of the time superintended the building of a college. In 1857, he went to California, where he followed mining for three years. Returning to St. Louis he remained only about a year, and then came to Alexander County. He first rented a tract of twenty acres, but in 1864, he purchased forty acres, part of which was improved; since then he has bought forty acres more, all of which lies in Section 12, Town 16, Range 3 west. He was married March 18, 1845, to Elizabeth Frances Saunders, daughter of John Saunders, a native of Tennessee. The result of this union was two children, one of whom, Charles, born November 7, 1873, is now living. Subject enlisted in the Second Illinois Light Artillery. Company F, October 13, 1861, and remained out until August, 1865. In politics, Mr. Cherry is a Republican, and is now acting as School Trustee.
Extracted 29 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, pages 235-236.
|Scott MO||Mississippi MO||Ballard KY|